A professor of Kashmir University, who had been missing since last Friday , was identified as a militant who was gunned down by security forces in Shopian in South Kashmir on Sunday. He had turned into a militant.

It was early on Sunday morning that Fayaz Ahmed Bhat received a surprise call. It was from his son Mohammed Rafi Bhat, who told his father: “I am sorry if I have hurt you. This is my last call before I meet Allah”.

Rafi was killed in an encounter with security forces at Shopian in South Kashmir. Before he was gunned down, he called his father for one last time to say good bye.

Fayaz Bhat was still sleepy at his house in Chundana in Ganderbal when his mobile phone rang in the early hours of the Sunday morning, he later told the police.

The slain terrorist and a professor by profession, Rafi was a Ph.D in Sociology. The 33-year-old professor was on contract with the Kashmir University. He had left the university premises on Friday and had been missing since then.

It has been reported by the police that he had joined the Hizbul Mujahideen terror group since Friday. However, his father had repeatedly told the police Rafi would not pick up arms.

The Jammu & Kashmir police were monitoring all the phone calls from encounter site. They were soon able to track down the call by Rafi and sent a police team to the Bhat family to convince their son to surrender.

Senior Bhat along with his mother, sister and wife left for the encounter site. But by the time they reached Bota Kadal, about 14 km away from their house, they got the news of their son’s death. The family then return back to prepare for the funeral of their son.

Along with Rafi, four other militants were killed by the security forces in the Badgam area of Shopian, some 80km from his house.

It was reported that the father – Fayaz Ahmed Bhat, was an over ground worker for a terror outfit, during the early 1990s. He had bene trying to prevent his son from joining militant groups since the last few years. Bhat told police that at the age of 18, Rafi had made an attempt to cross over to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. He was however caught by the security forces and sent back home. After that his father always kept a careful watch on his son. According to PTI, two of his first cousins were also involved in militancy and had died in the 1990s.

The encounter on Sunday was based on a specific information related to the presence of terrorists in Badigam village in Zainapora area of the south Kashmir. Two security personnel were also injured in the encounter.

(Adapted from TimesNow.com)